Make your life a happy one by participating in physical activity! We all know summertime is the easiest time of the year to be physically active. Whether we are outside playing with our kids or going on a walk, being active when the weather is nice is easy.
When the temperature starts to drop is the time when many people lose motivation to be active. We are going to cover the benefits of physical activity as well as 11 ideas on how you and your family can get moving and reap the many benefits of physical activity.
There are many benefits to physical activity. Long-term physical activity has been shown to have a positive influence on the quality of life.
According to the World Health Organization, physical activity can help deter and prevent the most severe diseases long in duration and slow to progress such as obesity, Type 2 diabetes, and coronary heart disease.
Being physically active also helps lower the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, lung cancer, and helps control weight gain.
Along with proper nutrition, physical activity plays a large part in losing weight or maintaining weight.
Here are a couple of tips for weight management.
- If maintaining your current weight is your goal, try to work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity per week.
- If losing weight and trying to keep it off is our main goal, you may need to increase the amount of physical activity you participate in each week, as well as adjust your diet so that you put your body in a state of caloric deficit. This means that you are burning more calories throughout the day than you consume.
I would like to challenge you to be more physically active. Here are a few ideas that will help you get out and get moving either by yourself, with your pet or family, or any friend who you would like to spend more time with!
Physical Activity Ideas for the Family
- Play a backyard game of football, basketball, soccer, or any other sport in which your kids are interested.
- Enjoy the great outdoors! Get outside and into the woods for a nature hike. Encourage your kids to do research on different types of plants or animals in the area and look for them while you are hiking.
- Limit the time children are allowed to spend in front of a screen (TV, computer, video games).
- Tend to a garden or make yard work less of a chore and more fun!
- Take a family walk or bike ride in the evening after dinner.
Physical Activity Ideas for an Individual
- Set an amount of time to go for a walk each day. Start with a short amount of time and work your way up throughout the summer.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Join a gym (Athletes’ Training Center offers some great opportunities to be active and competitive with others).
- Set a goal to run a 5k and stick to it!
These are a few easy ideas to help get you started. Over the course of the summer and fall months, try and spend more time moving around and get in the habit of being active so that when the temperature starts to drop you will continue to stay involved in a daily physical activity and keep your body happy and healthy!
Written By: Parker Victor, MA, CSCS, USAW Head Performance Coach