Whitney Larsen, RD, LMNT Positive Nutrition
Recipe adapted from: http://www.foodfaithfitness.com/crock-pot-pizza-quinoa/
Photo Credit: foodfaithfitness.com
- 1 1/4 Cup pizza sauce divided + additional for serving
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup Green Bell pepper chopped
- 1/3 cup mini Turkey pepperoni
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp Salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 ¼ cups Reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz 93% lean ground beef, raw
- ¾ cup Grated Mozzarella cheese + additional for garnish
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- Spray a 5 quart slow cooker with cooking spray and add 1 cup of pizza sauce (saving the rest for later).
- Set to HIGH heat, place quinoa, green pepper, turkey pepperoni, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, ground beef, salt, and pepper into slow cooker (break up ground beef for even cooking), and cook until the liquid is absorbed, the quinoa is tender, and the beef is cooked, about 2-3 hours. (Mine only took 2)
- Add in the remaining 1/4 cup of pizza sauce and the cheese and stir.
- Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes, so the cheese can melt.
- Divide the broccoli and pizza quinoa between 4 plates and drizzle with a little bit of extra pizza sauce and additional grated Mozzarella cheese.
Serving suggestion: serve with a side of steamed broccoli or a garden salad.
Whitney Larsen, RD, LMNT – Positive Nutrition of Omaha