Sports Nutrition is one of the most important areas of performance, when the body is not fueled correctly performance suffers. Athlete’s performance can be affected due to under-fueling, dehydration, poor recovery nutrition, micronutrient deficiencies, improper macronutrient distribution and disordered eating. We currently consult with a Sports Dietitian and all services will be provided by Jessica Wegener RD, CSSD, LMNT. We can provide individual and group/team nutrition counseling and education to enhance the performance of competitive and recreational athletes, on-site and during travel. This includes counseling individuals and groups on daily nutrition for performance and health; translating the latest scientific evidence into practical sports nutrition recommendations; tracking and documenting outcomes of nutrition services, serving as a food and nutrition resource for coaches, trainers, and parents; providing sports nutrition education for health/wellness programs, athletic teams, and community groups.
Sports Nutrition Counseling may include the following:
- Assess and analyze dietary practices, body composition, and energy balance (intake and expenditure) of athletes in the context of athletic performance and health.
- Counsels athletes on optimal nutrition for exercise training (match nutrition to training phases and goals), competition, recovery from exercise, weight management, hydration, immunity, disordered eating, travel, and supplementation.
- Counsels athletes on achieving and maintaining a level of body mass, body fat, and muscle mass that is consistent with good health and good performance.
- Provides personalized meal and snack plans to promote achieving short- and long-term goals for athletic performance and optimal health.
- Addresses nutritional challenges to performance, such as food allergies, bone mineral disturbances, gastrointestinal disturbances, iron depletion, and iron-deficiency anemia.
- Provides medical nutrition therapy, as needed, to help manage or treat medical conditions.
- Counsels athletes on optimal nutrition for recovery from illness or injury.
- Coordinates nutritional care as a member of multidisciplinary sports medical/sports science teams.
- Evaluates nutritional supplements, including herbal supplements, for legality, safety, quality, and efficacy; monitors use of appropriate supplementation.
- Collaborates with the individual’s family, physician, coach, and other health professionals, as appropriate.
Getting the right nutrition is one of the key ingredients to optimal athletic performance. For more information please contact Jessica Wegener RD, CSSD, LMNT at 402.669.2705 or www.pnomaha.com